[Dovecot] dovecot vs. cyrus IMAP?

Jim Norton jrn at oregonhanggliding.com
Wed Apr 7 18:11:59 EEST 2004

Hello all,

I just learned about dovecot. I am currently using Cyrus IMAP/POP3 with Postfix on a Linux system.
The one thing I don't like about Cyrus IMAP is that it doesn't support mail users who have accounts on the system.

It uses it's own mailbox format and the users can't be regular system users.

It would be nice to have an IMAP/POP3 server that can handle mail for users in /etc/passwd as well as the cyrus 'virtual'
user type.

Does dovecot only provide access to mail for users in /etc/passwd? Or can one setup email accounts for people that don't have accounts on the system ( in /etc/passwd )?

Thanks,

--
Jim Norton - http://www.jimnorton.org

Recursion; n. see 'Recursion'