[Dovecot] (no subject)

Rick Johnson rjohnson at medata.com
Fri Apr 9 02:18:47 EEST 2004

Avery Day wrote:
> Sorry if this question has been asked before I looked through some of the
> archives before posting this.
>
> I am considering using dovecot on a small 35 user enviorment (only around
> 6 gigs of email) that will be primarly be used with squirrelmail for the
> MUA. I have been using dovecot for a few weeks now and really like it. It
> is a big improvement over uw-imap thats for sure. I was wondering how many
> people in this mailing list are using dovecot for a production email
> server, and why you chose to use dovecot over cyrus or courier. Or maybe
> someone feels that dovecot isnt ready for this type of thing just yet. I
> am all ears so please feel free.
>
> Thanks

I presently use Dovecot (converted to MailDir) for IMAP/IMAPS along with
SquirrelMail on a Red Hat 9 server. This serves about 150 users.

I chose Dovecot because it provided the Maildir format advantages for
large mail stores, but offered me an easy way to convert from uw-imap
while keeping the mbox format during the transition. While I'd still
like to have the quota capabilities of Courier or Cyrus (not sure which
has it), I've found Dovecot to do very well in terms of performance.
It's extensability means I have room for future growth in the event that
I may want to try LDAP or SQL authentication in the future.

I initially had some growing pains with Dovecot, however the latest
revision seemed to take care of most of it. My only pain now is more
client related in that Mozilla doesn't clear previous customflags before
assigning new ones - which makes removing labels in certain cases
difficult or impossible. I think Mozilla has addressed this in the
latest Trunk, however as well.

All and all, I and my company are happy that we made the switch from
uw-imap to dovecot.

-Rick

Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson at medata.com
Linux/Network Administrator - Medata, Inc.