[Dovecot] adding new user to dovecot

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.de
Thu Apr 15 11:11:41 EEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 09:15, Kartik Vaidyanathan wrote:
> Dovecot is interested in only one thing - being able to find the user's
> mail directory. With maildir you need to do mkdir ~user/Maildir, with mbox mkdir ~user/mail.
>
> what does ~ refer to.
> Pardon my ignorance in unix, i am relatively new to unix.

You have to understand that the "magic" here is not "~", but "~user",
and conventionally "~user" refers to the $HOME directory for "user".

Of course, what dovecot really looks for can be specified in its
configuration file (so you can also use ~user/.invisimail) or whatever.
IIRC it is not specified as "~" or "~user" in the config file, but
"$user" or so.

johannes