[Dovecot] problems with squirrelmail and TLS (debian unstable)

Amelia A Lewis amyzing at talsever.com
Sat Apr 24 02:07:13 EEST 2004

Heylas,

So, okay, I've had this lovely IMAP server running, and adore the ease
of configuration, among other things.  Problem, though.

I'm trying to set up SquirrelMail, so that some folks with accounts on
my box can use it without having to set up a proper imap client (or can
check mail when they're at a cafe, or like that).  However, I *won't*
turn off the disable_plaintext_auth, 'cause I'm damned if I'll set up a
box that asks people to send passwords in the clear, and there *are*
people using imap.

Dovecot cannot, currently, be configured to permit plaintext on
localhost while requiring Something Better from the rest of the world.
This becomes a problem with SquirrelMail, which can't cope with TLS.  It
just barfs.  Looking at bug reports in debian, this has already been
noticed, and the maintainer there (and the maintainers of SquirrelMail)
considers this a non-problem, 'cause, they say, you shouldn't be using
TLS with webmail.

Is there a way to set up, for instance, two instances of dovecot,
running on different ports, so that one listens to the external
interface and the other listens to localhost?  I don't much like the
idea, but how would I go about doing this?  Two copies of dovecot.conf
and a command-line switch?

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis                    amyzing {at} talsever.com
Yankees are compelled by some mysterious force to imitate Southern