[Dovecot] Newbie Q: Setting up under linux: Spool directory.

Robert McLay mclay at zaniahgroup.com
Mon Apr 26 21:30:08 EEST 2004

I am trying to set up dovecot under linux.  (RH9 if it matters).  I'm
having trouble having it find the mail that is already delivered.

What I would like is that mail is delivered by fetch mail to
/var/spool/mail/mclay (that me) then have dovecot find it.   I'm sure
that I have not set the dovecot.conf file correctly.  The documentation
is unclear as to what "mbox" is and "INBOX" is.

I have tried having default_mail_env unset and with the following:

default_mail_env = mbox:/var/spool/mail/%u:INBOX=:/home/%u/Maildir

What I get when I talk to it directly is:

$ telnet localhost imap
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK dovecot ready.
A00002 LOGIN mclay "xxxxxx"
A00002 OK Logged in.
A00003 SELECT INBOX
A00003 NO Internal error [2004-04-26 12:56:03]

So could a kind sole point me in the right direction?

Thanks