[Dovecot] Index abuse

Rick Jones rick at activeservice.co.uk
Mon Apr 26 22:20:38 EEST 2004

How resilient is Dovecot's indexing mechanism? (seeing as it's been
extensively re-vamped I guess this question may have different answers for
0.99 & 1.0).

To put it in context, I'm playing with server-side automatic maintenance
scripts for things like deleting messages more than x days old from folders
a, b, c, etc. (using Maildir layout). So far I'm just zapping files in the
cur and new directories and nothing amiss appears to happen from the IMAP
client's viewpoint.

I just wonder if I'm storing up trouble. Will the index files continue to
hold references to non-existent files and get bloated, or do they
self-clean?

--
Rick Jones