[Dovecot] Envelope From changed - why?

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Tue Apr 27 00:26:47 EEST 2004

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 11:43:59AM +0200, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> On 2004.04.26 09:03, Tom Alsberg wrote:
> > I realize (having read the RFC), that IMAP does not deal with the
> > envelope "From " at all.  I also realize that IMAP calls something
> > else the "envelope", so I'll refer to it as the Unix (mbox) "From "
> > line.

Often called the "From_" line as well

> > However, the mbox format does store those lines, and they even still
> > have some meaning.
>
> Why not let your MDA or local delivery agent add a proper Return-Path:
> header. It contains the same information as the From_ line, but it works
> with all mailbox types, it's easier to parse and you can get at it using IMAP.

That is a good positive suggestion about how to maintain "envelope from."
I don't think it counters the desire *not* to muck with the existing
"From_" line though.  I would not want that disturbed without some
very good reason (and I can't really think of one).

mm