[Dovecot] Dovecot Local Delivery Agent

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Aug 8 13:57:02 EEST 2004

Timo Sirainen wrote:
 > On 5.8.2004, at 14:08, news.gmane.org wrote:
 >
 >> Support for PAM
 >

 > I'm not sure how exactly this would work. LDA doesn't use any
 > passwords, so it would have to make a PAM call with some dummy
 > password. And that would create a two second delay with most PAM
 > implementations.

Maybe I am all wrong here (you are all so clever on this list), but
isn't PAM divided into 4 different areas exactly for the purpose of
using only some of them?

Password comparison is done in pam_auth (usually, but can be replaced
with OTP or other authentication schemes).

In Debian at least, you can add a module to the pam_session loop to
mount something. Such mounting module is simply ignored if included in
auth, account or password loops (as I understand it).

As I understand Chris he requests support for the _relevant_ PAM
loops, and you, Timo, say that the auth loop is irrelevant.

  - Jonas