[Dovecot] LDAP-auth not working

Roger Bystrom roger at remiss.org
Sun Aug 15 17:10:56 EEST 2004

I have set up dovecot to use ldap authentication, but it only results in
dovecot crashing without any error message that would indicate why this
is the case.

I have spent *many* hours trying to fix this problem, but not found any
solution as to why it should crash.

maillog:
Aug 15 10:05:08 era dovecot: Dovecot starting up
Aug 15 10:05:09 era dovecot: Auth process died too early - shutting down
Aug 15 10:05:09 era dovecot: child 20833 (auth) killed with signal 11
Aug 15 10:05:09 era imap-login: fd_send(-1) failed: Broken pipe

Settings to indicate ldap in dovecot.conf:
auth_userdb = ldap /etc/dovecot-ldap.conf
auth_passdb = ldap /etc/dovecot-ldap.conf

Basically, the settings in dovecot-ldap.conf is:

hosts = localhost:389
dn = cn=dovecot,ou=servers,dc=remiss,dc=org
dnpass = nada
base = dc=remiss,dc=org
deref = never
scope = subtree
user_attrs = uid,homeDirectory,,,uidNumber,gidNumber
user_filter = (&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=%u))
pass_attrs = uid,userPassword

using ldapsearch -x -D "cn=dovecot,ou=servers,dc=remiss,dc=org" -w nada
.... is successful.

Therefor I am wondering what in the world that causes "Auth process" to
die too early.

Output of strace -f dovecot -F is available from
http://remiss.org/download/log

Pid of auth-process here is 23286.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,