[Dovecot] We couldn't drop root group privileges.

Greg M txmail at brain.madspaz.com
Sun Aug 15 17:38:19 EEST 2004

Hello all,

This is my first post to this list. I have tried finding this answer online
but while it seems that there are some people out there asking, I cant seem
to get an answer to it.

I have installed Dovecot some many month ago, and just recently I have been
getting an error while trying to log into one of my accounts that I used all
the time. The error that comes up is

pop3: We couldn't drop root group privileges

I have seen where someone else has asked this same question, but there was no
response to the list. Anyone have any ideas? I use squirrel mail to check the
account as well as KMail (IMAP), and have even tried logging in through
telnet to port 110 to see if it was a client issue, but it appears to be
dovecot. I am using BSD 4.9 and Exim if that helps any. Thanks a bunch, for
now I have to ssh into the machine to check my mail via PINE or mail.

-Greg M.