[Dovecot] Authentication and Startup/Shutdown error.

Andrew Lietzow alietzow at myfamily.com
Fri Aug 27 17:27:46 EEST 2004

Hello and ... help!

I am using Redhat FC2.   I was looking for a simple POP3 compatible application package that would allow growth into secure mailboxes, and it looks like dovecot can fill the bill, and then some.

I am a newbie.  I scanned the Wiki but am as confused by it as I am by my problems.   Fortunately for me, I don't need 7 different authentication schemes; I just need something simple that works with Thunderbird and Outlook Express.

Is there a HOW-TO around that shows simple pop3 setup on Linux?

#1) I had the pop3-login working for a bit, but now it has stopping starting up.  When I attempt a <./dovecot stop>, I get a message that the stop has [FAILED].   I believe this is because it is leaving a lock in the /var/lock/subsys directory.  I delete that file and try again, same problem.

The system starts okay, but there are no longer any pop3-login processes being started up.  <ps -elf | egrep pop3*> returns nothing but the grep process.

#2) I need a simple method to access email.  Nothing fancy as I only have a couple of users.  Terrorists woud be wasting their time to monkey with my server.   In the dovecot.conf file, here are a few of my settings.

pop3_executable = /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3
pop3_process_size = 256
auth = passwd
auth_mechanisms = plain
auth_realms =
auth_default_realm =
auth_userdb = passwd: /etc/passwd
auth_passdb = passwd: /etc/passwd
auth_executable = /usr/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-auth
auth_process_size = 256
auth_user = root
auth_count = 2

Any help would be greatly appreciated, of course.  I'll keep scanning the web site while I am at your mercy.

TIA,
Andrew L. in Iowa