[Dovecot] Problems with registering new emails - imap/jfs/maildir

Trond Eivind Glomsrød teg at scali.com
Sun Aug 29 22:40:53 EEST 2004

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On 26.8.2004, at 23:23, Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:
>
>> Closer checking shows that it works with ext3 and reiserfs, but not
>> with jfs.
>> Either there's a bug in the filesystem, or dovecot does an invalid
>> assumption... no idea of which.
>

> The strange thing is that it works after reconnecting. I don't see
> what the difference is between reconnecting and reselecting mailbox.
> If it never worked it would be clear that the problem is with Dovecot.
> I think there has been problems with Reiser as well, so it's well
> possible that Dovecot assumes something wrong. I guess I should try
> creating reiser/jfs partitions myself and see how they work.

I converted the partitions to reiserfs, and just as on the test system,
that solved the problem. When reconnecting (quitting the application and
restarting it), it should connect to a new instance as opposed to
keeping an open one... maybe some optimization is different when
checking for additions as opposed to opening it for the first time?