[Dovecot] master or client

Kirill Miazine km at krot.org
Fri Dec 3 18:10:43 EET 2004

Hello,

Dovecot auth protocol 1.0 defines differend command sets for client and
master.

How can a daemon distinguish a master connection from a client
connection? Clients do send CPID and master does not.

I have following auth configuration:

auth external {
  socket connect {
    master {
      path = /var/state/dovecot/login/master-auth
    }
  }
}

I try to learn my authentication daemon to learn to speak with Dovecot.

I fire up my master.py and try to login via pop3 as foo:bar. Below is
what my master.py receives from Dovecot (master and client), VERSION
commands are not shown:

    km at thinkpad:/home/km > ./krot/sbin/master.py
    CPID : ['11915']
    CPID : ['11915']
    CPID : ['16652']
    CPID : ['11915']
    AUTH : ['1', 'PLAIN', 'service=POP3', 'secured', 'lip=127.0.0.1',
            'rip=127.0.0.1', 'resp=AGZvbwBiYXI=']
    REQUEST : ['9', '11915', '1']
    CPID : ['16652']

(In the above output command and parameters are parsed.)

The protocol specification is mentioning a separate SERVICE command in
the client's greeting.

I can't let my daemon die if the master issues DIE. Why should a server
exit when it receives DIE?

Can anybody provide an example dialog of an authentication request that
is successful and a reques that fails because of a bad password.

Thanks,
Kirill

--
They make a desert and call it peace.