[Dovecot] SQL + AUTH command bug?

Andrew Hutchings mail at a-wing.co.uk
Wed Dec 8 15:30:59 EET 2004

Hi,

While investigating the problem with Thunderbird auths I found the
following happening:

Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Dovecot ready.
CAPA
+OK
CAPA
TOP
USER
UIDL
RESP-CODES
PIPELINING
SASL PLAIN
.
AUTH PLAIN
+
+
+
-ERR Authentication failed.

This is what is happening during a Thunderbird connection, when each '+'
happens dovecot does an sql query on the sql server for user '?'.  This
was asserting mech.c until Timo did the bugfix last night.
I currently have dovecot authing via 3 separate sql password tables as
it is a migration from 3 old servers.

If you try any other auth method (which shouldn't work anyway in my
case) it doesn't talk to the SQL servers and just comes back as:

-ERR Authentication failed.

Regards
Andrew
--
Andrew Hutchings
Systems Operator / Developer / Linux Guru