[Dovecot] PostgreSQL user database

Marco Herrn marco at mherrn.de
Fri Dec 10 23:50:06 EET 2004

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 02:21:42AM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 10.12.2004, at 01:39, Marco Herrn wrote:
>
> >But I came to another problem when doing this. Is it the case that
> >dovecot expects uids and gids always as numbers? I only store the
> >human readable names of them, but dovecot complains with:
>
> If they are names, how should dovecot translate them to numbers?

Sorry for my little knowledge about that, but I thought that the names
should be enough. At least exim is capable of using user and group
names as well as uids and gids. Do you know where the difference is in
the way exim and dovecot handle this? I would think that exim just
looks into the passwd file for this information (this is only an
assumption). Is this not possible in dovecot?

> From
> /etc/passwd? You might as well put home directory there then and use
> userdb = passwd.

I have virtual users, so passwd wouldn't be enough in my case. But
each virtual user corresponds to a system user (not a 1 to 1 mapping,
since one system user can have multiple virtual users). Or is there a
way to get uid and gid von passwd, when getting the mail directory
from a postgresql database?

Regards
Marco

--
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
--
(GnuPG/PGP-encrypted mail preferred)       _;\ _.\ _.';;) ;,;_/;
Key ID: 0x94620736                  _  _'./_\('))_; );/\)}/`fsc