[Dovecot] Internal login failure

Jaeson Schultz jaeson at jaeson.net
Sun Dec 12 23:08:24 EET 2004

Hello,

I am fairly new to Dovecot, so please forgive me if I am missing
something obvious here.  I have checked the archived dovecot mailing
list messages and have Googled for everything I can think of, and I
still have not found anything to help me solve this problem.  I am
running Postfix+Postgresql+Dovecot on my Fedora FC2 box.  I have
compiled both Postfix and Dovecot from source.  I believe I have postfix
running properly.  No error messages show up in my logs when starting
Postfix or Dovecot.  Messages are being delivered by Postfix just fine:

        Dec 12 11:45:42 co-nundrum postfix/virtual[15759]: 15E82F8EF0:
        to=<jaeson at domain.name>, relay=virtual, delay=1, status=sent
        (delivered to maildir)

However, when I try to login to Dovecot over IMAP I get an "Internal
login failure" error:

        [jaeson at localhost jaeson]$ telnet co-nundrum imap
        Trying 207.7.137.6...
        Connected to co-nundrum.
        Escape character is '^]'.
        * OK dovecot ready.
        1 LOGIN jaeson secret
        1 OK Logged in.
        * BYE Internal login failure. Error report written to server
        log.
        Connection closed by foreign host.

When I check the dovecot log file I see the following entries:

        dovecot-auth: Dec 12 01:15:59 Info: PGSQL: Performing query:
        SELECT password FROM user_accounts WHERE username='jaeson'
        imap-login: Dec 12 01:15:59 Info: Internal login failure: jaeson
        [66.159.231.21]
        dovecot: Dec 12 01:15:59 Error: child 9845 (auth) killed with
        signal 11

Here are the entries from my dovecot.conf file.  As you can see, I have
set both auth_verbose and auth_debug = yes, but I don't seem to be
getting any log messages with enough verbosity to indicate just what the
problem is.

        base_dir = /var/run/dovecot/
        protocols = imap imaps pop3 pop3s
        imap_listen = *
        pop3_listen = *
        ssl_parameters_regenerate = 24
        disable_plaintext_auth = no
        log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
        info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
        login_dir = /var/run/dovecot-login
        login = imap
        login_executable = /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
        login_user = dovecot
        login_process_size = 16
        login_process_per_connection = yes
        login_processes_count = 3
        login_max_processes_count = 128
        login_max_logging_users = 256
        max_mail_processes = 1024
        verbose_proctitle = yes
        verbose_ssl = yes
        first_valid_uid = 5000
        last_valid_uid = 65535
        first_valid_gid = 5000
        last_valid_gid = 65535
        default_mail_env = maildir:/mail/%d/%u
        mail_save_crlf = yes
        maildir_copy_with_hardlinks = no
        maildir_check_content_changes = no
        mbox_locks = fcntl
        umask = 0077
        imap_executable = /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
        imap_process_size = 256
        auth = default
        auth_mechanisms = plain
        auth_userdb = pgsql /etc/dovecot-pgsql.conf
        auth_passdb = pgsql /etc/dovecot-pgsql.conf
        auth_executable = /usr/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-auth
        auth_user = root
        auth_count = 1
        auth_username_chars =
        abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ01234567890.-_@
        auth_verbose = yes
        auth_debug = yes

Additionally, here are the entries in my dovecot-pgsql.conf file:

        connect = host=localhost dbname=mail_DB user=mailreader
        password=secret
        default_pass_scheme = PLAIN
        password_query = SELECT password FROM user_accounts WHERE
        username='%u'
        user_query = SELECT '/mail/'||mailbox AS home, uid, gid FROM
        user_accounts WHERE username='%u'

Finally, here is the configure command I used when building Dovecot from
source:

        ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-debug --with-pgsql
        --with-cyrus-sasl2 --with-ssl=openssl --sysconfdir=/etc

At this point, I think that the connections to my postgresql tables are
all working properly, and the initial authentication with Dovecot
appears to be working.  Dovecot *does* accept my password and gives me
the "OK Logged in." response message, but somewhere before it kicks off
the IMAP process it dies with a SIGSEGV.  Perhaps I have some file
permissions out of whack?  Has anyone else encountered this problem, or
perhaps has any insight into what might be going wrong or how to find
out more information?

Thanks,
Jaeson Schultz
jaeson at jaeson dot net