[Dovecot] deploying dspam

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Fri Dec 17 00:25:08 EET 2004

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 01:26:35AM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 16.12.2004, at 01:08, Mark E. Mallett wrote:
>
> >I'd still like to see more general hooks on moving into and out of
> >folders,
>
> Easy to use hooks would be nice.. But that needs more thinking.
>

> >or ways to "redeliver" email, or folders that could act as
> >pipes, e.g. as mentioned in this thread:
>
> Do you mean real pipes? I think mbox code could be pretty easily
> modified to support pipes so that reading always shows empty mailbox
> but writing works.

I meant real pipes, yep.  I don't know how well you could map them to
IMAP semantics though.  A pipe would be something you would file a
message into, at which point the message would be fed into a program
rather than filed into a folder.  Is it possible to have a write-only
folder using IMAP?  Or does the folder have to present a read interface
too?

Others have mentioned cron jobs for the specific situation where
one wants to do statistical reclassification.  That's always an
option, of course, but getting away from that kind of implementation
is the (my, anyway) motivation for wanting pipeboxes in the first place.
Event-driven operations are better for some things than asynchronous
polling-- resourcewise and effectwise.  For example if I have updated
my delivery rules and want to redeliver some wrongly-filed email according
to the new rules, I just move all the message from where they are into
the specific pipebox that hooks into the delivery agent.

mm