[Dovecot] Cygwin and index code

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Dec 19 10:57:34 EET 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 16:43 +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
> /home/jmberg/Maildir/dovecot.index.tmp: Permission denied
> imap(jmberg): Error: rename(/home/jmberg/Maildir/dovecot.index.tmp,
..
> I think this is probably due to the indexing code opening the .tmp file
> and then unlinking it and trying to re-create it while the first is
> still open. Or something, I really am not sure.

Yes, that's it.

> *Maybe* the index code might be made work if it creates a new temporary
> file-name every time it re-creates the file, but I don't understand the
> code well enough (yet) to give a better analysis of the problem.

For dovecot.index.tmp that would work, but then there's also
dovecot.index.log.newlock which works as a lock file, it can't be
renamed. It could probably be fixed just by closing all the fds to the
file before rename().

Anyway both solutions get a bit kludgy. Perhaps I could do them with
some #ifdef CYGWIN, but I don't really want to fix those myself.