[Dovecot] Worthwile to use quotas?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Dec 23 12:57:11 EET 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 11:01 +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Peter Clark <peter-clark at bethel.edu> writes:
>
> >     I'm aware that dovecot doesn't support Maildir++ quotas yet (pity).
> > However, is it still worthwhile to set up something like Postfix + Maildrop
> > to use quotas, or is dovecot's lack of support just going to throw a wrench
> > in the works?
>
> Wietse Venema does not believe in soft quotas, and I believe he has a
> point. The Maildir++ quota support requires a somewhat complicated
> update protocol, and is effectively on a voluntary basis.
>
> Consider using hard quotas instead.

Hard quotas are difficult to handle correctly in code. Dovecot 0.99.x
doesn't handle out-of-quota situations very well and 1.0-tests don't
handle them at all yet.

Getting the code work 100% correctly in all out-of-quota situations is
probably also impossible. The difficult part is how do you store
message's UID if there is no space where to store it?

Software quotas are also problematic only if user has direct access to
the system. I don't see a reason why they would otherwise be bad.

Dovecot will most likely support soft quotas within few months. It will
also support different backends (maildir++, sql).