[Dovecot] bidirectional synchronization of dovecot-managed maildirs

James Leifer James.Leifer at inria.fr
Tue Dec 28 13:13:48 EET 2004

Marcus Rueckert <rueckert at informatik.uni-rostock.de> writes:

> kmail - offline imap
> mailsync

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for your message.  Looked at both your suggestions, neither of
which really do what I want. 8-)

* kmail: I don't really want to be tied down to a particular MUA

* mailsync: seems to still require opening messages to find their
  message-ids --- something that's much slower than just using the
  "uniq" part of the filename to track the identity of messages as
  they are moved. Also I don't fully trust message-ids in these days
  of spam since spammers can reuse any old message-ids they find.

So my question still stands! Would it be difficult to hack dovecot so
that it maintained the "uniq" part of a maildir file name when it
copied it?

While I'm asking this: how difficult would it be to have multiple
physical maildir directories be presented by dovecot as a single IMAP
folder?  The reason I ask is that many file systems start to slow down
noticably once one gets more than about 5000 files in a directory.
(Reiser is an exception, but reiser has had other problems of
reliability for me.)  It would be nice to be able to spread a single
folder out over several maildirs to reduce any possible problems from
the file system.

Warm regards,
--James Leifer