[Dovecot] Maildir owner importance

Peter Clark peter-clark at bethel.edu
Wed Dec 29 11:55:24 EET 2004

On Tuesday 28 December 2004 23:40, Roi Efrati wrote:
> Does the the virtualmail user need to have a shell account ? Do I have
> to change the last_valid_uid/gid to the dovecot user or leave them on
> the virtualmail user ?
    No, and technically you don't even need a virtualmail user, just a uid and
gid. So, for instance, you could do this (so long as you were certain that
the numbers in question would never be used for a real user/group):

first_valid_uid = 5000
last_valid_uid = 5000
first_valid_gid = 5000
last_valid_gid = 5000

Then just 'chown 5000.5000 /var/local/virtualdir/' or wherever else you want
to keep your maildir, and you're set.
    :Peter