[Dovecot] PLAIN-MD5 passwords?

Adam Pordzik adresseverbummelt at gmx.de
Fri Dec 31 20:59:53 EET 2004

Peter Clark schrieb:
>     After I found out that {CRYPT} doesn't support passwords longer than 8
> characters, I decided to switch over to MD5 for user passwords in my LDAP
> database. However, while I have no problem with Postfix + SASL, Dovecot fails
> to authenticate.

I think you just found out, that 3DES (?) only supports password with
not more that 8 characters.

Try:

password-hash {CRYPT}
password-crypt-salt-format $1$%.8s

in your slapd.conf for MD5 hashes. After restarting slapd all new
created and modified password will math that pattern.

Does anyone has the salt format for Blowfish ready to hand?