[Dovecot] Basic questions concerning mail...

Joshua Goodall joshua at roughtrade.net
Mon Feb 16 01:56:13 EET 2004

You need to mentally sort out the distinction between different roles
in email systems.

Email is originated (created) by a Mail User Agent - e.g. Mutt,
Outlook, Evolution, Webmail.

Email is transported by a Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) - e.g. Postfix,
Sendmail, Exim, Qmail.

Email is stored in a Message Store - e.g. Maildir, mbox, various
custom databases.

Email in a store is made available by POP3 or IMAP servers e.g.
Dovecot.  (or you may have direct access to the filesystem).

Finally, Email is displayed by another Mail User Agent
(mutt/outlook/webmail).

In some integrated systems, the same component fulfills multiple roles.

For example (and simplifying a little),
Exchange is a MTA, message store and IMAP server;
Cyrus is a message store and IMAP server.

Most MTAs can write to a message store, either directly or via
a tool called a Mail Delivery Agent (MDA) like Procmail.

Dovecot is just an IMAP server.  It happens to be fast, efficient
and secure.  Occasionally I feel motivated to stick a SMTP/LMTP front-end
on it so that it can be a Cyrus-killing integrated MDA/Store/IMAP system.

Hope this helps :)

Joshua.

--
Joshua Goodall                           "as modern as tomorrow afternoon"
joshua at roughtrade.net                                       - FW109