[Dovecot] Basic questions concerning mail...

Joshua Goodall joshua at roughtrade.net
Mon Feb 16 03:06:28 EET 2004

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 02:01:19AM +0100, Tom wrote:
> Ah. So nothing would change, actually, by installing an IMAP server,
> right? The roles played by Exim, procmail and whatever I might use
> remain the same, and the IMAP server only serves (obviously, the termi
> was well chosen) mail to remote users who are able to authenticate
> themselves, and is thus just an extra step between stored mail and
> the user (instead of just viewing mail ("direct access to the filesystem"),
> I'd use IMAP to display mails somewhere else using a MUA)?

Right.

Personally I use IMAP so that I have a consistent view whether I'm
using mutt (local shell), Kmail (in the office), Mozilla (on the road)
or Squirrelmail (from internet cafes).

> Great. I get the concept, now. It really was the kind of answer that
> makes one wonder why one could not get it in the first place. :-/

There's no shame in asking intelligent questions.

cheers,

Joshua Goodall                           "as modern as tomorrow afternoon"
joshua at roughtrade.net                                       - FW109