[Dovecot] LDAP configuration

Giacomo Cariello jwk at bug.it
Wed Feb 18 08:23:14 EET 2004

At 23.03 17/02/2004, you wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 09:05:20PM +0100, Giacomo Cariello wrote:
> > I've just installed dovecot to replace courier-imap and I've found out it
> > didn't support some of the typical LDAP userPassword schemes, so I've
> > written some based on OpenSSL API. Furthermore I noticed that the MD5 one
> > seems broken. If it isn't a requirement to ship its own implementation
> of a
> > crypto algorithm, I would send in a patch to replace schema checks with
> > those based on libcrypto.
>
>Any overlap with the LDAP MD5/SMD5 handler at
>http://www.roughtrade.net/dovecot/ ?

Whoops. This url deserves to make it to the Wiki ;-)
Well, I worked primarily on SHA / SSHA, so no, it's not an overlap, however
I suppose it would be cool to import that MD5 handler.

>Personally I prefer that Dovecot does its own crypto.  I like Timo's
>buffer libraries, and using external libs would weaken that; you
>might as well go use Cyrus SASL.

IMHO, cyrus SASL sucks for what regards "code quality", so it'd be even
worse than using OpenSSL API.

Giacomo Cariello, jwk at bug.it

KeyID: 3072/1024/0x409C9044
Fingerprint: 7984 10FD 0460 4202 BF90 3881 CDE4 D78E 409C 9044

"Put that mic in my hand and let me kick out the jams!" - MC5