[Dovecot] X-UID

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 25 19:35:57 EET 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 17:37, Paul Adams wrote:
> What is the function of the X-UID header in mbox format?

Dovecot gets IMAP UID from it. The header isn't supposed to be sent to
clients at all, but the current code still does..

> Running Thunderbird 0.5 against a Dovecot IMAP server with mbox format,
> Thunderbird displays these UID numbers in the message list, which is
> fairly useless -- I want a numbered list of my messages starting at 1
> (which Pine, for example, is happy to provide).

Does Thunderbird actually use the X-UID header, not just the IMAP UID
that gets sent separately? If the X-UID header is the problem, it's then
Dovecot bug that it shows the header to Thunderbird.

If Thunderbird just uses IMAP UID and shows it, I agree it's pretty
useless but that's for Thunderbird to fix.

> I'm just wondering whether this is Dovecot's fault, Thunderbird's fault,
> or an ambiguity in the mbox standard.

IMAP clients shouldn't know anything about what kind of mailbox format
is being used in server side.