[Dovecot] Re: Addition

Rick Johnson rjohnson at medata.com
Fri Feb 27 22:04:02 EET 2004

Raymond Scholz wrote:
> · Raymond Scholz <ray-2004 at zonix.de> wrote:
>
> Ok, I've found the reason for this.  Setting
>
> maildir_copy_with_hardlinks = yes
>
> cures the problem.  Nevertheless I think the original problem is
> worth debugging.  I'll provide the necessary debugging information,
> if someone is interested and tells me what to do.

While it's worth debugging, there's usually little reason to not use
hardlinks, and the performance gain with large messages is astounding.
For those who aren't familiar with hardlinks, when messages are moved
from one folder to another via an IMAP command, I believe they are
copied/deleted instead of moved. If hardlinks aren't used, the message
must be replicated, then the original deleted, which on a large server
with large messages, could significantly increase I/O. With hardlinks, a
link is created, and the original link removed. Very little I/O.

HTH,
-Rick

Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson at medata.com
Linux/Network Administrator - Medata, Inc.