[Dovecot] no such file or directory

Arnold Cano arnoldc at mcmservice.com
Thu Jan 8 18:13:11 EET 2004

Timo Sirainen wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 02:12, Arnold Cano wrote:
>

>>I successfully installed dovecot 0.99.10 on a fedora box using postfix
>>2.0.11 and when I try to connect using my mozilla mail client I get the
>>following error in the maillog...
>>
>>Jan  7 18:52:16 www1 imap(arnoldc): utime() failed with index file
>>/home/arnoldc/Maildir/.INBOX/.imap.index: No such file or directory
>>

>You must have somehow deleted it. When opening INBOX, Dovecot creates
>the .INBOX/ directory and .imap.index under it. That error message comes
>when it's unexpectedly lost. I can't really think of reasons why, unless
>you manually did it..

I'm not intentionally deleting anything. Could it be that the file or
directory is never getting created? Is there something else I can try?
Do the permissions of the maildir or parent folders matter? I thought
that since dovecot runs in root (unless chrooted) that couldn't be it
but I'm out of ideas.

I tried telneting into the server with no success either...

 >telnet mail.mcmservice.com imap
Trying 216.110.65.253...
Connected to mail.mcmservice.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK dovecot ready.
LOGIN arnoldc ********
LOGIN BAD Error in IMAP command received by server.

Arnold