[Dovecot] POP Before SMTP for Sendmail

Ian R. Justman ianj at ian-justman.com
Fri Jan 9 03:46:54 EET 2004

Xavier Beaudouin wrote:

> Le 8 janv. 04, à 17:20, SIMflex Support a écrit :
>
>> Does anyone have a patch or information resource on implementing POP
>> before SMTP with sendmail and DoveCot?
>>
>> I implemented it using a qpopper patch before we swiched to DoveCot for
>> Maildirs.  We have been using DoveCot for almost a year now and love it
>> better than any other IMAP or POP3 server.
>

> Humm... Why you don't use a more usefull method : SMTP AUTH ???
>
> /Xavier

I tend to agree with this one, even though I implement this on my own
servers.  However, I use Perdition to implement this so that's only one
program I have to hack instead of two programs or two components of one
program.

However, I also have SMTP-AUTH set up as well as the preferred way of
doing things.  I ultimately hope to be rid of POP-before-SMTP at some
point in the future.

--Ian.