[Dovecot] Migrating from UW: mbx detection and conversion

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jan 29 23:16:01 EET 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 22:51, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> the additional benefit is a pleasant and helpful user community.  It's
> probably because it isn't well known yet so let's hope that it remains a
> relatively unpublicized treasure lest Timo turn into the second coming
> of Mark Crispen.

Heh :) I'm not changing my ways, I've already years of experience with
authoring more or less popular software, irssi most notably. Only lack
of time makes me unresponsive and ignore/delay replies.

I don't yet really even want Dovecot to be too well known, it's not
ready yet. When 1.0 comes (this spring I hope) I'll start publicizing it
more. After that I should only need to add new features - existing ones
should be perfect and better than anyone else's ;)

> >>I'm just hoping that Timo gets the mbox support fixed RSN.
> >
> > What's broken?
>
> something to do with indexing.  I know I was triggering a bug which
> caused huge amounts of CPU load every time you did anything with the
> mailbox.  If you've got the energy, I'm sure he could use the help.  I'm
> up to my eyeballs in antispam (camram) work.

I'm rewriting indexing code. Actually all that code finally seems to be
written, now it's just making sure it all works. And then I'll have to
rewrite maildir and mbox syncing to work with the new code, that'll take
some time too..

mbox also has problems with mailboxes that often get empty, such as
drafts.