[Dovecot] Dovecot crashes on certain spam messages

Karl Eklund kalle-e at medelklassen.com
Sat Jan 31 18:56:50 EET 2004

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On 30.1.2004, at 18:22, Karl Eklund wrote:
>
>> Jan 30 17:07:09 kalle imap(ke): file imap-bodystructure.c: line
>> 278 (part_parse_headers): assertion failed: (part->physical_pos >=
>> input->v_offset - start_offset)
>>
>> Is there something I can do to determine which message it crashed on?
>>
>> Maildir format, version 0.99.10.4.
>

> gdb backtrace would be useful from that, it'd also tell which message
> triggered it. See core dumps section in http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html

I don't get a core file if I set the drop privileges option that you
describe there. Also I maybe should have mentioned the next line in the
log file:

Jan 31 17:47:56 kalle imap(ke): file imap-bodystructure.c: line 279
(part_parse_headers): assertion failed: (part->physical_pos >=
input->v_offset - start_offset)
Jan 31 17:47:56 kalle dovecot: child 4912 (imap) killed with signal 6

So it seems that it's not a proper crash (not signal 11) but that it
exits voluntarily from the i_assert macro. Maybe that's why no core file
appears?

I also tried to figure out how to log some more info as Kenneth Porter
suggested, but I can't manage to find out how to get the file name, or
anything otherwise useful.

I'm not a programmer and I never looked at the dovecot code before. If I
knew how to jump around between function definitions etc without having
to search with grep, perhaps I could find it.