[Dovecot] Logging "issue" with PAM authentication

Steve Johnson maillist at sjohnson.info
Wed Jul 7 21:21:04 EEST 2004

Thanks for the clarification. The pam file for dovecot references to
system-auth:

auth       required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth

Of course, system-auth does indeed have both (and needs both). However,
I tried modifying the dovecot pam file to a few things instead of
system_auth, but can't get it to work.

I've tried with just the following:

auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so use_first_pass
password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so use_authtok
session     optional      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so

And I've also tried with all the system-auth lines, except the
pam_unix.so ones, like this:

auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so use_first_pass
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

password    required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
type=
password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so use_authtok
password    required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

session     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_limits.so
session     optional      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so

In both of these situations, users can't authenticate. Is there
something I'm doing wrong? I'm not that familiar with pam, so it's a
very plausible cause! :)

Thanks again,
Steve Johnson