[Dovecot] Newbie question: configuration for virtual users

Rory Campbell-Lange rory at campbell-lange.net
Wed Jul 21 01:41:13 EEST 2004

Hi!

I'm looking forward to deploying dovecot as an IMAP server. I did some
research into the various options and it looks like dovecot is the right
daemon for me. I'll be using it with Exim.

I am running a few tens of users on my server, most of them small
numbers of people part of a small company, e.g. example.com.

At present I have exim delivering to mbox in each virtual user's mail
folder. So, for chris, john and mandy @ example.com, I have

    /home/example/Mail/
        chris
        john
        mandy

All of the users in example.com run under the same uid and gid
(example). I like to separate these 'virtual' users from the real system
users for security reasons. I presently serve up these mboxes via
teapop, which allows for per-domain configuration. I couldn't find a
similar setup after a cursory read of the config file examples on the
dovecot website.

I'd like some advice on how to support different non-system users under
dovecot, ideally storing mail in a similar configuration to above,
except (presumably?) that the user files will be under each user name?
Thus:

    /home/example/Mail/
        chris/
        john/
        mandy/

I may use postgresql to store user configuration data if appropriate.

Advice gratefully received.
Rory
--
Rory Campbell-Lange