[Dovecot] 1.0.0-test28 Problem with INDEX

Tim Southerwood ts at doc.ic.ac.uk
Wed Jul 21 18:22:38 EEST 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:35:04 +0300
Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 19:13, Tim Southerwood wrote:
> > default_mail_env =
> > mbox:%h/IMAP/:INBOX=%h/.email:INDEX=/var/cache/dovecot/%n
> >
> > The INBOX indexes are being built correctly in /var/cache/dovecot,
> > but all other indexes for folders are still being built in the
> > user's home directory.
> >
> > I had it working once - but it seems fragile - almost as if the
> > config parser is sensitive to context??? Sorry - seems vague, but I
> > can't pin this down reliably.
>
> Have you set full_filesystem_access = yes? That's the only thing that
> I can think of that might make it use different directory (and even
> then only if you access the mboxes as "~/IMAP/box").

OK - I've been look at the code all day and sticking debug statements
in. full_filesystem_access = yes will cause the indexes to stick with
the mail files and not be based under INDEX=dir.

But - using

default_mail_env =
mbox:%h/:INBOX=%h/.email:INDEX=/var/cache/dovecot/%n
# Note lack of IMAP ^^^ (So clients can use ~/IMAP or ~/Mail - we have a
# historic mixture)
full_filesystem_access = no
namespace private {
  separator = /
  prefix =
  hidden = no
  location = mbox:IMAP/
}
namespace private {
  separator = /
  prefix = IMAP/
  hidden = no
  location = mbox:IMAP/
}
namespace private {
  separator = /
  prefix = ~/IMAP/
  hidden = no
  location = mbox:IMAP/
}

Will cause the indexes to also stick with the mail files, not use
INDEX=dir

Bit of a problem with NFS involved. I know I could use INDEX=MEMORY, but
I'm worried about what will happen if the machine exhausts it's VM (not
impossible with my site).

I'm happy to play with this a bit longer if you could give me a hint:
where is the path to the index file computed?

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim J Southerwood