[Dovecot] Fatal: Unknown userdb type 'pgsql'

felix.schwarz at web.de felix.schwarz at web.de
Wed Jul 21 18:48:11 EEST 2004

Hello,

I'm trying to use postgres authentication with dovecot on a linux
system running Fedora Core 2. Installation of dovecot was done by
installing the rpm included in the fedora distribution ("yum install
dovecot").

from /etc/dovecot.conf
auth_userdb = pgsql /etc/dovecot-pgsql.conf
auth_passdb = pgsql /etc/dovecot-pgsql.conf

but the logs tell me:
dovecot: Jul 21 19:28:39 Info: Dovecot starting up
dovecot-auth: Jul 21 19:28:40 Fatal: Unknown userdb type 'pgsql'
dovecot: Jul 21 19:28:40 Error: Auth process died too early - shutting down
dovecot: Jul 21 19:28:40 Error: child 5229 (auth) returned error 89
imap-login: Jul 21 19:28:40 Fatal: fd_send(-1) failed: Broken pipe
imap-login: Jul 21 19:28:40 Fatal: fd_send(-1) failed: Broken pipe

I think that the fedora rpm was compiled without postgresql support.
- Is the information given above sufficient for an educated guess?
- Would that lead to the above error message?
- What other errors may cause this behavior?
- How can I check which authentification types are supported by my dovecot-auth?
- Are there any other Fedora rpms compiled with postgres support available on the net?

thank you for your help :-)

--
Felix