[Dovecot] Re: Bug? 1.0.0-test28 NFS locking problems

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jul 23 21:20:00 EEST 2004

On 23.7.2004, at 21:12, Tim Southerwood wrote:

> Well, I would agree with you in an ideal world. However, there may be
> sites where the linux admin has no control over the Solaris (or
> other broken) servers holding users' mail - so it would be more
> beneficial that the application have a failover mode (or at least some
> compile time configuration). Dovecot uses this locking in two places
> that matter so it's not IMHO a terrible disaster to add a small
> workaround.

How well does NFS fcntl locking work in general? I've only heard of bad
things with it, so adding a workaround for a combination which works
badly in any case isn't really useful.

If I added a workaround, should it be a compile time workaround enabled
with some #define, a config-file configurable workaround or automatic
(errno == ENOLCK -> do it)?