[Dovecot] dovecot.conf: default_mail_env

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jul 26 18:08:17 EEST 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 06:30, Sebastien wrote:
> I just installed Dovecot on Debian and everyting seems to be working
> fine except for the fact that it can't seem to find my mails when I log
> in. All my mails are stored in the file ~/mail/Inbox. In the
> dovecot.conf file I put:
>
> default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail/:INBOX=/var/mail/%u and it's not working.
>
> What is the part: mbox:~/mail/ for ?

It's the base directory where all your IMAP folders exist. Dovecot also
writes it's index files under it.

> and what is the part: INBOX=/var/mail/%u for ?

It's the location for INBOX mailbox - the default mailbox where new
mails are sent to. In your case this would be the ~/mail/Inbox file. So
you'd want:

default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=%h/mail/Inbox