password generation tool and additional hashes (was: [Dovecot] weakness in hash salt generation)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jul 26 19:27:24 EEST 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 15:40, Joshua Goodall wrote:
> I fleshed this out a bit.  OK, a lot, because this was done to improve
> interoperability with OpenLDAP.  The attached diff:

Committed with a few minor changes. And btw:

+#define STRWIPE(s) do {			\
+	char *c;			\
+} while (0)

safe_memset() exists pretty much for this reason. Compilers may sooner
or later optimize out this kind of code because it seems useless to it.
Microsoft's compilers already do in some cases.

Of course there could be safe_strwipe() to avoid extra strlen() call but
it's a bit unnecessary optimization IMHO :)