[Dovecot] IMAP login name conversion

Zoong Pham dpham at mercy.com.au
Wed Jun 2 02:51:02 EEST 2004

Let me explain:
My server runs OpenBSD-3.5 and Sendmail. We host few virtual domains.
Local accounts have login names in this format: login-domain_abc_xyz
For example: joedirt-joedomain_com_au, info-adomain_com,
info-otherdomain_com

That way login accounts are unique across all the virtual domains.

I use the OpenBSD pre-compiled dovecot-0.99.10p2.
It is set to use "auth_passdb = passwd" and "auth_userdb = passwd"

I can use mutt to access my mailbox via IMAPS with login name format
joedirt-joedomain_com_au.

Other users use different MUA like Outlook and prefer to login with
their email addresses (joedirt at joedomain.com.au, info at adomain.com,
info at otherdomain.com)

We use squirrelmail for webmail. I modified squirrelmail to
automatically
convert login name from format of joedirt at joedomain.com.au to
joedirt-joedomain_com_au.
So if users use squirrelmail, they can just login with their email
addresses.

My question is how to achieve the same thing with other MUAs like
Outlook?
Do I have to modify dovecot source?
Can I use LDAP or SQL instead?
Note that we are using Sendmail and prefer it than othe MTA.

I have looked at the Wiki, specially the "DovecotOpenLdap" but am still
confused.

Thanks
Zoong