[Dovecot] authentication configuration

Tom Allison tallison at tacocat.net
Tue Jun 8 13:30:40 EEST 2004

I've included the non-defaulted bits of my dovecot.conf file at the
bottom of this email.

As I understand my set-up it's using unix authentication methods
(/etc/passwd via pam?).

Considering disable_plaintext_auth and auth_mechanisms, what exactly is
being passed?  I was hoping to get
auth_mechanism = digest-md5
but that's not working out very well right now.  It seems I can only do
plaintext authentication.

I got stuck on the userdb/auth_passdb settings.  Can someone give me an
example of how to configure for md5-digest authentication?

My current guess is:
disable_plaintext_auth = yes
auth = digest-md5
auth_mechanism = digest_md5
auth_passdb = /etc/mydigestfile

How would I set this for pgsql?  auth_passdb = /etc/dovecot-pgsql.conf

###  non-default config settings.
protocols =  imap imaps
disable_plaintext_auth = yes
login = imap