[Dovecot] folders via softlink

Chris Barnes chris-barnes at tamu.edu
Tue Jun 8 19:23:54 EEST 2004

I have recently switched from the UW imap server to dovecot and things
seem to be working nicely.  One thing that I can't seem to figure out
however, is how to get dovecot to show folders that are a softlink.

We run SpamAssassin.  Users can use both their own personal spam folder
as well as a shared spam folder.  For messages that everyone would
consider spam, the user can simply drag the message to the shared spam
folder (messages that are only "spam to them" would go into their own
spam folder).

sa-learn is then run nightly for each user against both the shared spam
folder and their personal spam folder.

The shared spam folder is simply a file that everyone has rwx access to
and is softlinked to ~/mail/SharedSpam.  This used to work fine with UW
imap because it didn't seem to care that this was a softlink.  However,
apparently Dovecot DOES care because when the user resets their folder
list and the user selects the folder and chooses "show", they get the
error message:
  Could not show "SharedSpam".  The server refused to show it.  The
  folder might already be shown.

I have tried editing the .subscriptions file by hand and it does cause
the folder to show up, but when the user trys to use it, they get the
same error.

Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing?

--

Chris Barnes                                 AOL IM: CNBarnes