[Dovecot] folders via softlink

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jun 10 18:46:44 EEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 19:23, Chris Barnes wrote:
> I have recently switched from the UW imap server to dovecot and things
> seem to be working nicely.  One thing that I can't seem to figure out
> however, is how to get dovecot to show folders that are a softlink.

Dovecot currently follows symlinks, so I think your problem isn't
symlinks themselves but something else.

>   Could not show "SharedSpam".  The server refused to show it.  The
>   folder might already be shown.

What do log files say?

Actually I think I know. Dovecot tries to use shared index files but the
first user who created them owns them. If it even had the permission to
create the .imap directory. Shared access to indexes isn't really
recommended with 0.99.10, so you'd probably want something like:

default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u:INDEX=/home/%u/mail/.indexes/

(~ doesn't work after INDEX= I think)