[Dovecot] Return (revenge?) of the "pop-lock".

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jun 16 09:48:38 EEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 08:48, Christian Balzer wrote:
> I see very seldom occurrences (compared to the session wide pop lock
> of qpopper on the old system) like this:
> ---
> Jun 16 14:35:52 mb01 pop3(user at gol.com):
> Timeout while waiting for release of exclusive fcntl() lock for index file
> /mail/spool/mb01/9ef/f73/af.user/.INBOX/.imap.index
> ---
> These are people with slow connections and at least one large mail in
> the box, with their client aborting w/o terminating the session properly.
>
> I presume the timeout for this is hardcoded, as all the config
> parameters for timeouts are mbox related, rite?

Right. That's one annoying thing with 0.99.10 index code, slow readers
will block others from accessing the mailbox. There's not much you can
do except disable indexes, which would lose cached message sizes and
slow down POP3 a lot.

The default timeout it 5 minutes already I think, so I'm not sure if
growing it would help much.