[Dovecot] IMAP and webmail applications

durango99 durango99 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 18 05:47:15 EEST 2004

I haven't worked with Mason but I know a bit of what it does and it seems
you want more integration into an existing website.  I don't have any
expertise with performance between perl and php so I can't comment on that
:)

The only other thing I can add to the conversation is my interest in
looking at imapproxy or something similar to allow caching of imap and
improve web client performance.  I haven't tried it yet, but it's
something I'll goof around with.

> Dan Wang wrote:
>> i thought squirrelmail would be way too much of an overkill for my
needs
>> also but i went for it.  i'm using debian and i got the squirrelmail
package installed and working within 15 minutes.  what really makes
life
>> easy is that squirrelmail comes with a configuration utility
>> (squirrelmail-configure).  it was very easy to get things configured
without worry about a lot of conf files :)  i also like the many
plugins
>> that people have created for squirrelmail.  it's also very simple to
add
>> these plugins into squirrelmail using squirrelmail-configure.
>> i had originally been ssh and mutt to check my mail, but i decided it
be
>> nice to have a web front-end and squirrelmail /apache /dovecot
/procmail
>> /spamassassin /gotmail /getmail /fetchyahoo have been a good mix for
me.
>> the hardest part for me was figuring out procmail and not squirrelmail :)
>
> squirrelmails nice.  I'm not going to knock it.  In fact, I consider it
right to be an example of what to follow.

> But my interests are to write something for compatability with mod_perl
and HTML::Mason so give me a system that will be much faster than
squirrelmail and easier to include in web sites.  (HTML::Mason would
allow you to write the entire webmail application as an object to
include in a page...)  The advantage of HTML::Mason over PHP is that
it's very easy to cache pages in addition to the advantages of mod_perl
over PHP (unless you use Zope?).