[Dovecot] 1.0-test21

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jun 21 20:51:55 EEST 2004

On 21.6.2004, at 18:56, Moe Wibble wrote:

>>  - Enabled cache file again. If client asks about something that can
>> be
>> cached for future, it's done. There's currently no smart logic about
>> when not to do it or when to cache more than was asked for future use.
>> Currently nothing is ever deleted from cache. Currently it's disabled
>> if mmap_disable = yes.
>
> ...does that mean the cache-file will grow indefinitely?

Yes. Note the "currently" words there :) Will be fixed before 1.0 of
course.

> Actually I find the current maildir-performance quite amazing when
> compared
> to courier or bincimap.  The only other imapd that can hold a candle to
> dovecot (at least according to my little-bit-out-dated and
> not-so-representative personal benchmarks) appears to be cyrus.

I recently saw some benchmarks (measuring system load) comparing
Dovecot mbox, maildir and Cyrus. Dovecot was much slower than I
thought, Cyrus was many times faster in most tests. Dovecot with mbox
was also much faster than with maildir, even though my 0.99.10 mbox
code is pretty bad.

0.99.10 indexes aren't too good, but I still find it a bit strange that
Cyrus takes something like 10x less load. I'd think most of it has to
do with maildir format itself, that it needs to rename files when flags
change, and Dovecot needs to resync the whole maildir after each change
in mailbox (and sometimes twice).

I guess we'll need a IMAP-optimized format sometimes soon.

Anyway, 1.0 is nearing a state where I'd like to begin hearing
benchmarks about it. It's mbox performance should be excellent.