[Dovecot] triggering multiple actions on pop-3 request

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Wed Mar 17 21:49:22 EET 2004

I want to trigger fetchmail when a user makes a pop-3 request.  The
reason for this is so that the messages retrieved by fetchmail can be
filtered via an anti spam service before depositing them into the inbox.

The way I figure it, since I need to know who the user is and that they
authenticated in order to make the correct fetchmail call, I need to
spawn the fetchmail process somewhere between the authentication and the
pop 3 process.

since I'm currently unfamiliar with code at that level, could I get a
suggestion as to where to start looking?.

apologies if I haven't explained is clearly enough. I'm still just kind
of exploring the idea myself to see if it's the right way to approach
this problem (pop 3 anti spam Gateway).  If it works out right, it may
even end up as part of a firewall (IPCop) as a way of making anti spam
trivially easy for the technically challenged.  (I.e. put it in a box,
said it up right, don't let them touch it)

I know it is also somewhat off topic for the group but since I want to
modify dovecot (the IMAP server that rescued me from UW), I figured I
would give it a shot.

thanks in advance,
---eric