[Dovecot] Dovecot startup at boottime fails

Marcus Rueckert rueckert at informatik.uni-rostock.de
Tue Mar 23 20:02:28 EET 2004

On 2004-03-18 10:44:52 +0100, Bavo De Ridder wrote:
> I am running dovecot 0.99.10.4 on SuSE 9. I installed it using apt-get from
> the gwdg repository.
>
> The dovecot service is configured to start at boottime in run level 3 and 5.
> However, it dies immediately with this error (/var/log/mail.err):
>
> dovecot: Login process died too early - shutting down
>
> Starting the service afterwords from a prompt as root with the command:
>
> /etc/init.d/dovecot start
>
> works without a glitch. Attached you can find my dovecot.conf and the startup
> script /etc/init.d/dovecot.
>
> I hope someone could shed some light on this issue.

did you read the mail SuSEconfig sends to your root user?
or read did you read /usr/share/doc/packages/dovecot/README.SuSE :)
normally it is an SSL issue. but weird ssl is disabled on your box o.O

hmm .. do you get an error if you run "/usr/sbin/dovecot" directly as
root?

darix
(package maintainer)

--
irssi - the client of the smart and beautiful people

              http://www.irssi.de/