[Dovecot] POP (dot) locks

Christian Balzer chibi at gol.com
Tue May 18 15:24:17 EEST 2004

Olivier wrote:
[...]
>> means that if the only other reading accesses to a (mbox style in this
>> case here) mailbox are via other dovecot processes everything will be fine?
>
>Yes, but you should be aware there are other processes than
>Dovecot which can access the mailbox, moreover in a read-write
>fashion, such as your MDA (procmail, sendmail, maildrop,
>whatever).

Exim. ^^

>You had better teach them to also use dotlock files to be safe.

Sure, it of course does that, it being a write access. Just like one
dovecot session deleting a mail from the mailbox would need exclusive
access to the thing for that time (and hopefully not utterly confuse
the mail clients behind those sessions in the process). I just tested
this with our web-mail (Ilohamail) and a reload of the inbox nicely
reflects the harsh reality of the mail deleted by the other session.

Regards,

Christian Balzer
--
Christian Balzer        Network/Systems Engineer                NOC
chibi at gol.com   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Network Services