[Dovecot] dovecot immediately exits on Fedora 2

David Keegel djk at cybersource.com.au
Wed May 26 15:08:23 EEST 2004

I'm new to Dovecot, but I'll have a go at answering since
I haven't seen any other answers yet and I have been using
dovecot 0.99.10-4 on Fedora 1.

] I "upgraded" my server running UW-IMAP on Fedora 1,
] to Fedora 2, which defaults to Dovecot.  Unfortunately,
] the server refuses connecions from my client (Mozilla).

"Connection refused" is to be expected if dovecot isn't running.

] It seems that Dovecot immediately exits:
] ps aux|grep dovecot shows nothing.
] Also, if I manually start up dovecot, it immediately
] exits, with no messages. (It does at least parse the
] config file, since tweaking that gives me errors.)

I suggest tail /var/log/maillog as the place to look for
errors and messages from dovecot.

] What is surprising is that I haven't been able to "Google"
] to find anone else reporting someting similar, so I'm
] wonderring what makes my system unique.

A problem I've suffered from (and seen others with Google) is
with SSL support, seeding the pseudo random number generator.
The symptom is that dovecot totally crashes (and needs to be
restarted) at various times (probably when someone tries SSL).

I have turned SSL off with
	ssl_disable = yes
in /etc/dovecot.conf.  Since then dovecot hasn't crashed.