[Dovecot] IMAP views - and things to make Outlook Express not suck so much

Geo Carncross geocar-dovecot at internetconnection.net
Thu May 27 02:31:28 EEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 15:34, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 21:43, Geo Carncross wrote:
> > An idea I had a while back was for IMAP views. It accomplishes the four
> > things I keep seeing on this list without being specific to any of them.
>
> I've thought about something similiar before, but I've mostly just
> thought about performance and complexity issues with it. Creating a
> single view from many mailboxes could be slow without some special
> indexing.

It shouldn't be slower than performing the actions manually. The only
"tricky" part would be the UIDL/ID matchups. If one is willing to
implement 64-bit integers, or accept a 2^32 maximal limit on the number
of messages accessible in a view, then the problem can be reduced to
m=n*nfol+folnum where nfol is the number of subscribed folders, folnum
is the relay counter, n is the original UIDL or ID number, and m is the
resulting UIDL/ID passed to the client.

Am I missing something about dovecot's implementation?